I was having a conversation with a professor this morning who is interested in amplifying her work in doing diagramming, drawing, and visualizations in law. We had a great conversation, and I pulled in a range of links for her to explore what’s going on in the world of visual design, law, and public interest work.
I share these links here in case they might be helpful starters for others!
- Graphic Advocacy Project (out of HLS + Hallie Jay Pope): http://www.graphicadvocacy.org/work
- New York non profit visual design for policy/social good CUPS: http://welcometocup.org/
- Design for Democracy group of AIGA: https://www.aiga.org/design-for-democracy
- Design for America group out of Northwestern: http://designforamerica.com/resources/
- IIT’s project on translating/visualizing Miranda Rights for language access: https://id.iit.edu/
- Legal Design Alliance, https://legaldesignalliance.org
- Legal Design Toolbox, http://www.legaltechdesign.com/LegalDesignToolbox/
- Professor Jay Mitchell’s Picturing Corporate Practice: https://lawprofessors.typepad.com/contractsprof_blog/2017/07/teaching-spotlight-picturing-corporate-practice-jay-a-mitchell-stanford.html
- Visual Advocacy session we ran last week at Stanford, with Faegre, Baker, Daniels: https://law.stanford.edu/event/visual-advocacy/
- Univ of Minnesota course (cotaught by Faegre lawyer Kate Razavi): https://www.law.umn.edu/course/6871/visual-advocacy
- Contract visualizer Stefania Passera: https://stefaniapassera.com/project-type/legaldesign/
- Work on good contract design with visuals:
- (Stefania Passera and Helena Haapio: Contracts as Interfaces) https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/bitstream/handle/123456789/27292/article1.pdf?sequence=4&isAllowed=y)
- (Beyond the Wall of Text by Stefania Passera: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Beyond-the-Wall-of-Text%3A-How-Information-Design-Can-Passera/a1e92f12b558e707ef5d526114af3545d7f50599)
- (Designing 21st century disclosures by Margaret Hagan, https://law.stanford.edu/publications/designing-21st-century-disclosures-for-financial-decision-making/ )
- (Legal Design Patterns for Privacy, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3144250 )
- Concepts app to make iPad vector drawings: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/concepts/id560586497?mt=8
- Affinity Designer desktop app for vector image editing: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/
- Sketch desktop app for Mac only, vector image editing: https://www.sketchapp.com/
Lucid Chart to make flowcharts and diagrams: https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/tour
Google Drawings to make flowcharts and diagrams: https://docs.google.com/drawings/
And some essential visual design principles to abide by!